The Alaska Pole Vault Club
Vaulting in Alaska?
The Alaska Pole Vault is an USATF organization based outside of Fairbanks, Alaska and is the northernmost vaulting club in the world. The Alaska Pole Vault Club welcomes all USATF athletes (young, elite, and master jumpers).
If you are interested in learning to pole vault, please use the contact form so we can get started.
Practice times are Tue & Thurs @ 7 PM, and Sunday @ 3 PM.
The Salcha Dome
The Salcha Dome was built during the summers of 2017 & 2018. and is a custom SteelMaster building. The structure consists of a main area (35’ W x 45’ L x 24’ H) and is connected to a tunnel (12’ W x 80’ L x 22’ H). The two sections are separated by a very tall, and insulated garage door (8’ W x 18’ H). Heating in Alaska is expensive, so we close the tunnel door and turn off its heat when not in use. Opening the door drops the main building temperature about 10 degrees.
We have a wide selection of poles ranging from 9’ 60 lbs to 15’ 185 lbs. Most of our poles are UST Essx, but we have a few Altius Extreme and Mystic poles in the mix.
Special thanks to…
Bruce Caldwell of eOnlineSports. for donating the runway, and providing many discounts on poles.
Michael Hirt of Alaska BTU for helping to hook the buildings radiant heat to our home’s boiler.
Dennis Price and Mitch Loveless for the use of his lift, boom truck, discounted gravel, and equipment for raising and assemblying the structure.
And a big thanks to Jim Brannan (my father), my three children, and Tori (my spouse) for selflessly volunteering two of their summers to help errect the building.
About the coach
• 2nd generation pole vaulter (dad was Wyoming state champion).
• Started pole vaulting in 1984 at age 16.
• Set Utah high school state record of 16’, becoming All American.
• Set freshman school record at BYU in 1987 of 16’ 10”.
• 3x WAC Indoor champion and 4x outdoor champion.
• 5x NCAA National qualifier (9th place best showing).
• Set BYU school record of 17’ 10.5” (5.45 m) in 1991.
• Olympic Hopeful Qualifier for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.
• Retired from the Pole Vault in 1994.
• Produced Women’s Pole Vault Video with World record holder and first Olympic gold medalist Stacy Dragila.
• Picked up vaulting again at age 44.
• Best masters jump is 13’ 7”.
• Age 50, jumped 13’4” for 2nd at Reno Pole Vault Summit.
Dakota Project - April, 2019
For the month of April Dakota has used poles 2-feet shorter than he normally jumps on. This jump is technically his best jump for the month of April, 2019.